|OFERTA||POSTDOC RESEARCHER (WATExR)|
DATA DE PUBLICACIÓ
DATA LÍMIT PRESENTACIÓ OFERTES
EMAIL ENVIAMENT CV
DESCRIPCIÓ DE L'OFERTA
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB
- Job location: ICRA – Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain
- Number of positions available: 1
- Expected start: February 2018
- Temporal Position. The position is for 31 months
- Gross salary: 24.000 €
JOB PURPOSE / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Job for postdoctoral researcher with ecological modelling and programming skills
Project: WATExR: "Climate Seasonal prediction for adapting water resources to extreme events", a ERA4CS - JPI Climate project
Position location: Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain. Working with Dr. Rafael Marcé, coordinator of the project
ICRA leads the WATExR project, an international projects including partners from Denmark, Spain, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, and Australia. The coordinating team at ICRA wishes to recruit a post-doctoral researcher with modelling and programming skills for a period of up to 31.5 months, who will have a central role in implementing the WATexR research project along with the international project team. The researcher will be primarily based in the Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona (Spain), reporting to Dr Rafael Marcé.
Climate extreme events, like heat waves, droughts and floods, stress ecosystems and compromise their capacity to provide key services related to water (e.g., decreasing streamflows, reduced capacity to process nutrients and organic matter, mobilization of pollutants, compromised fish stocks). However, despite the vulnerability of the water quality sector to climate change, there has been limited development of solution-oriented tools integrating Climate Services and ecosystem impacts modeling for efficient adaptation to climate extreme events. WATExR aims to integrate state-of-the-art climate seasonal prediction and water quality simulation in a QGIS-based advanced solution to ensure efficient decision making and adaptation of water resources management to an increased frequency of climate extreme events. This will be achieved by identifying end-user demands in 7 case studies in Europe and Australia relating to the impact of climate extreme events on water supply companies, fisheries, and water authorities implementing the Water Framework Directive (WFD). Finally, WATExR will join the Inter-Sectoral Impact Model Intercomparison Project (ISIMIP2), contributing a selected set of water quality impact models following the ISIMIP2 simulation protocol.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop a workflow (as a Q-GIS plug-in) specific to Sau Reservoir (Spanish case study) which links seasonal climate prediction to water quality models.
- Determine the climate drivers needed to drive these impact models and work with the project team to collect process and document the different climate data needed by the project.
- Assist in the scientific coordination of the whole WATExR project, together with the PI (Rafael Marcé)
- Link WATExR with ISIMIP2, defining the new lake sector.
- Participate in stakeholder workshops to identify their needs in terms of integrative tools.
- Prepare reports, publications, and other relevant project outputs.
- Attend project meetings as required.
- Day to day coordination of the project to ensure the deliverables and milestones are achieved.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & SELECTION CRITERIA
Must Have – Required
- Experience: Post-doc (at least 3 years)
- Knowledge: Environmental Engineer, Environmental Sciences, Biology, Environmental Chemistry, or similar. Software Engineers, Bioinformatics, and related professionals will also be considered if proof of experience with environmental modeling is provided.
- Skills: Programming (R, Python, or similar) and environmental modeling. Fluency in English with good communication skills (oral and writing) are essential.
- High performance computing
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of a young and growing research group.
- Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
Documentation Submitted: Applicants should send full application consisting of Curriculum Vitae and a statement letter addressing his/her interest in the position, together with the contact details for at least two academic referees. Please, make sure the CV has clickable links to published papers.
Aplications and Deadline for applications:
Send the required documents to email@example.com indicating ref. ‘PostDoc_ WATExR’ in the subject of the email.
- he deadline to submit the required documentation is January, 31st 2018.
- Pre-selection: will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
In ICRA we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings or sexual orientation.
Recruitment will be carried out as provided for in Article 15 of Royal Legislative Decree 1/1995 of 24 March passing the text of the Workers' Statute Act, in accordance with the provisions of Article 2 of Royal Decree 2720/98 of 18 December (B.O.E. 8 January 1999), Act nº 12/2001 of July 9 (B.O.E. 10 July) and concordant regulations.
The principle of equality between men and women is taken into account, in accordance with Article 14 of the Spanish Constitution, the EU Directive of 9 February 1976 and the provisions of the Agreement of the Council of Ministers of March 4, 2005, passing the Plan for gender equality in the General State Administration.
Universal accessibility for persons with disabilities is taken into account, in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 1 of Act nº 51/2003 of 2 December on equal opportunities, and 5% of vacancies are reserved provided the candidates pass the selection processes and are able to accredit disability and compatibility in performing the tasks so that we will progressively reach 2% of the total workforce.